No. 67 Squadron was originally formed on 12 September 1916, when No. 1 Squadron, Australian Flying Corps, was renumbered at Heliopolis. It flew a variety of types for reconnaissance duties including the obsolete Royal Aircraft Factory Be2. By the end of summer 1917, No. 67's equipment had become more standardised and before it reverted to the title of No. 1, AFC on 6th February 1918, the squadron began acquiring
Bristol Fighters. The squadron became a specialised fightersquadron until 5th March 1919 when it disbanded. Initially the squadron’s main role was reconnaissance, operating both out across the Sinai desert in search of Turkish forces, and across Egypt’s western desert to monitor activity by the rebellious Senussi. Increasingly, though, its aircraft were involved in attacks against Turkish ground forces.Lt Gerald C Stones (observer) from Wisbech Australia and 2Lt Joseph A Morgon (British pilot attached to 67 from the RFC) where both killed 30 May 1917 flying Royal Aircraft Factory BE2e A1807 when their aircraft whilst on an artillery observation mission was brought down by anti aircraft fire near Gaza.